Monday 2 July 2012

Record Collecting Pointers



Whilst the bulk of my collection are CDs, the past year, I have become a quite dedicated record collector. Not collector in the 'OOH LOOK PRETTY VALUABLE' sense, but in the 'SOUNDS GROOVY' sense. So, if I get a picture disk, I'm listening to it. Monetary value is nothing compared to the experience of listening to music. Anyways, I have brought a sizable amount of records, and so think it'd be cool to post some pointers on here.

  • Markets and Charity shops. These places are the goldmines, I've managed to pick up a load of decent LPs from these places. Captain Beefheart, Tangerine Dream, Human League, Yes, Mike Oldfield... it goes on and on. I managed to get Stravinski's Rites Of Spring for 50p. Well worth it. You can often find better deals in these places than in proper record shops due to the staff often not knowing how much something is worth.
  • Check the vinyl! While I've never had to change my mind (generally it's all been excellent quality, as it lasts longer than tape and CD), I know to always pull the record out of it's sleeve and give it a glance, Small scratches can add a nice vintage popping sound to it, which can work well on your Rick Wakeman LPs, but bigger ones can totally ruin it. I've got a Zappa album which on one side skips like whole ten second sections in the songs. Luckily I have those tracks on CD, and only got the record due to being a Zappa completionist (it's a sampler), but still...
  • Last minute eBay auctions. are the source of most of my records. You can often find something decent for 99p if you're able to keep an eye on it's last minutes. This is what I often do in my lunchbreaks at work. You can't argue with a 99p Sly and the family stone LP! Don't even focus on searching for specific stuff. Just search for 'Vinyl LP' and see what stuff is ending soon.
  • Buy from sellers you TRUST! there are hundreds of record stores on eBay, start with just buying around, and then when you find some that you know have excellent quality, cheap delivery and so on, try and stick with them as your first port of call when browsing. The problem with ordering online is that sometimes the goods may not be as described (my 7" of Wuthering Heights has a giant crack down it), but generally, stores will have a reputation to uphold and will honestly grade the quality of their stock. Shakedown Records is a good seller to use on eBay.
  • Don't pass up a bargain. If something seems abnormally cheap, don't wait around, BUY IT! Buy it before somebody else does. I've managed to get a vinyl copy of Zappa's 200 Motels for £12. That's around less than half of what the CD sells for! You just have to keep your eye on the ball, and remember, music collectors are opportunistic savages. We would sell our own parents for a shot at a mint sealed copy of Trout Mask Replica.
  • Be weird. So many weird and exciting and experimental stuff has been released. This is your chance to pick up an absurd novelty record or get that BBC Sound Effects album you've heard about. Honestly, just go for whatever you can, whatever you think will be interesting. Explore. I brought a job lot of 80 singles, most of which I don't like, but some I love. It was fun to just go through, listening to each one and sorting them out and just immersing myself in the music. Explore the boundries of your musical taste and be weird.


No comments:

Post a Comment